TIPS FOR FINDING A LOST PET
Your Pet is Missing. Now What?
- Immediately put out your pet’s food, water & bed or an article of your clothing in the place where your pet was last seen. The scent may draw them back.
- Contact your local police department, vet clinics, animal shelters & animal control facilities to report your pet missing. Email them a copy of your pet’s photo along with your contact information. If your pet is microchipped, contact the microchip company & report them missing.
- Spread the word by creating & posting a flyer with your pet’s picture on it & your contact information. Post them in the neighborhood where your pet went missing & ask if you can post them in local businesses. You can easily create a Lost Pet Flyer with a template from Paw Boost by clicking here.
- List your pet on websites such as Helping Lost Pets & Paw Boost & on social media pages such as Lost Dogs Illinois or Lost Cats Illinois.
- Walk the neighborhood. Walk around at different times of the day & keep treats with you to help attract your pet to you. Many times pets are out early in the morning or near dusk when the area may be more quiet.
- NEVER GIVE UP! Many pets are reunited with their families after they have been missing for a considerable amount of time. Keep hanging flyers & spreading the word.
Found a Stray Cat or Dog. Now What?
- If you find a stray cat or dog, please contact the police department in the town where you found the animal. They will advise you as to what their local procedures are.